People with MS-like symptoms are often diagnosed by a neurologist, a type of doctor who specializes in treating the brain and nervous system. Different tests are used to diagnose MS, including:
- Blood tests to rule out other diseases with similar symptoms
- Physical tests of balance, muscle coordination, vision, and other functions
- An MRI imaging test to look for signs of lesions (damaged tissue) on the brain
- An analysis of the fluid that cushions your brain and spinal cord
- Tests to measure electrical activity in your nervous system
For information on MS treatments, visit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s Treating MS section.